Scroll over map to see the names of the DOCGs
● Location: Island, southwest of boot
● 103.000 hectares of vineyards
● Number of DOCG wines: 1 / DOC wines: 23
● Most characteristic native grapes:
Nero d'Avola (red)
First Sicily's only claim to fame was Marsala, but then it became the go to for strong blending wines, and finally there's a revival of interest for the native grapes.
● Fun facts:
In the tiny island of Pantelleria to the South of Sicily where one of Italy's best dessert wines "passito" is produced, the vines are low on the ground because of the winds, and this way of growing is now Unesco protected.
● Cerasuolo di Vittoria (Nero d'Avola / Frappato)