Scroll over map to see the names of the DOCGs
● Location: Southeast, heel of boot
● 86.700 hectares of vineyards
● Number of DOCG wines: 4 / DOC wines: 28
● Most characteristic native grapes:
Negro Amaro (red)
Uva di Troia (red)
Bombino Nero (red)
Puglia is one of the largest contributors in terms of quantity in Italy. Extensive vineyards and high yields, and often wines without origin used to pump up the weaker wines of Northern Italy. This is thankfully changing also thanks to the potentials of the native grapes.
● Fun facts:
Zinfandel was found to be the twin of Primitivo, and then later another identical varietal was found in Croatia known as Tribidrag.
● Castel del Monte Bombino Nero (Bombino Nero)
● Castel del Monte Rosso Riserva (Nero di Troia)
● Castel del Monte Nero di Troia Riserva (Nero di Troia)
● Primitivo di Manduria Dolce Naturale (Primitivo)