Scroll over map to see the names of the DOCGs
● Location: Center, East coast
● 17.600 hectares of vineyards
● Number of DOCG wines: 5 / DOC wines: 15
● Most characteristic native grapes:
Vernaccia Nera (red)
Le Marche is a diverse region in landscape but also in its wine styles. Traditionally known for it quaffable Verdicchio whites, today both those have gotten notably better and there are great reds produced as well.
● Fun facts:
Montepulciano is another grape grown a lot in Le Marche but the grape doesn't feature in any appellation - only in Tuscany can use the name as a region - and Abruzzo can use the name as a grape!
● Castelli di Jesi Verdicchio Riserva (Verdicchio)
● Conero (Montepulciano)
● Offida (Pecorino, Passerina, Montepulciano)
● Verdicchio di Matelica Riserva (Verdicchio)
● Vernaccia di Serrapetrona (Vernaccia Nera)