Scroll over map to see the names of the DOCGs
Cesanese del Piglio
Cannellino di Frascato
● Location: Center west coast
● 23.500 hectares of vineyards
● Number of DOCG wines: 3 / DOC wines: 27
● Most characteristic native grapes:
Malvasia del Lazio (white)
Lazio wasn't incentivised to go through the same quality renaissance as most of Italy's other regions did because the local consumption (Rome) absorbed most of the production. However, this is now starting to change...
● Fun facts:
Even though mostly white grapes are grown, the most grown red grape is a non-Italian: Merlot!
● Cannellino di Frascati (Malvasia)
● Cesanese del Piglio (Cesanese)
● Frascati Superiore (Malvasia)